Better than accepting insults
SIR – I completely concur with Mr Kramer s letter (Jan 23) on exposing the Government s and the PCT s incompetence in being no longer able to maintain both of our hospitals, QE2 and Lister, nor to build the promised Hatfield super- hospital. Is it compl
SIR - I completely concur with Mr Kramer's letter (Jan 23) on exposing the Government's and the PCT's incompetence in being no longer able to maintain both of our hospitals, QE2 and Lister, nor to build the promised Hatfield super- hospital.
Is it "complaining and whingeing" as Dr Lewis and Dr Sherrard say?
Well clearly not if one replies to the Government's community consultative document entitled The New Place Survey: Consultation due to close Feb 8.
It would seem that at least two of the draft questions in the appendix are particularly apposite, ie., 2.
Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied are you with your local area as a place to live?
4. To what extent do you agree or disagree that you can influence decisions affecting your local area (within 15-20 minutes walking distance)?
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure
- 3 Council fights for lower housing targets
- 4 Next to close Welwyn Garden City store this week
- 5 Outdoor gym opens in Hatfield
- 6 Purse stolen in Hatfield
- 7 Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat finally comes to Potters Bar's Wyllyotts Theatre
- 8 ‘Please do not vote to damage Welwyn irreparably’
- 9 Three bulldogs rescued from fire by passersby
- 10 £45m bid to improve QEII Hospital
Details of the consultation paper can be obtained from: http://www. communities.gov.uk/publications/localgovernment/newplacesurvey
(As the document is intended to be distributed by local councils has anyone seen it?)
The famous statement that "all it takes for tyrants to succeed is that ordinary people do nothing" unfortunately doesn't guarantee that ordinary people doing something constructive will be successful.
However, when common sense has flown out the window it must be better than lying down and accepting insults such as 'whingeing'.