Best man we never had
Sir– With reference to last week s council elections, I noticed one particular person failed to stand as a candidate. I refer of course to Arkwright of Huttons Newsagents/Post Office. This stalwart of the Handside ward would have gained a great many vot
Sir- With reference to last week's council elections, I noticed one particular person failed to stand as a candidate. I refer of course to "Arkwright" of Huttons Newsagents/Post Office.
This stalwart of the Handside ward would have gained a great many votes, I am sure. His ability to not spend or waste any money at all, would have been a real bonus to the electorate at large!!
In these times of vast council expenditure, "Arkwright" would soon have had the matter sorted out. But have I noticed a softening of his hard business brain recently? He has actually given his newspaper delivery staff a raise in pay, which is somewhat out of character and rather worrying!! Has the worry of possibly losing his Post Office, affected his judgement in all matters financial, could be!!
Anyway he ticks all my boxes. He lives locally, always tells the truth, good at recycling, helps old ladies cross the road, keeps unruly kids under control, he is a great comedian (essential) and has very strong opinions about the future of the town.
You may also want to watch:
Keep it up "Arkwright"and maybe next time you will be one of our local councillors. (Apologies to any political candidates, if I have caused any offence.) Long live Handside Post Office.
Richard Bailey, Handside Ward, WGC
- 1 Meet the man driving a tractor 270 miles from Cornwall to Codicote
- 2 July 19: Extended restrictions will bring 'big costs' to our businesses
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 7 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 New care home opens in Potters Bar