Award for house with no soul
Sir – With reference to your article (WHT, June 3) on the award winning house at Pipers End, having lived until fairly recently in Pipers End for 40 years, I feel I must comment. It appears that the Royal Institute of British Architects bases its awards
Sir - With reference to your article (WHT, June 3) on the award winning house at Pipers End, having lived until fairly recently in Pipers End for 40 years, I feel I must comment.
It appears that the Royal Institute of British Architects bases its awards solely on the architecture of a building and totally disregards whether it is in keeping with its environment. The house at Pipers End may be architecturally outstanding but it is out of place in a small country hamlet. The planning department of EHDC should be ashamed for failing to protect a rural idyll.
Pipers End is the wrong location for this ultra modern house.
I would also like to comment on your statement that "the architect turned the house from a dilapidated farmhouse to a stylish building."
You may also want to watch:
Firstly, was it a farmhouse? I have always understood it was a pub or ale house many years ago. Secondly, the new house is some yards from the original which is now demolished but your article gives the impression that the old house was converted to a stunning, stylish building.
The new house is soulless whereas the old house had character, history and if the walls could have spoken many a tale to tell.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 9 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
But it was not ECO FRIENDLY, so it had to go!
Joan Wheatley, Letty Green, Hertford.