Action is needed over speeding
SIR – With reference to Paul Orrett s letter, I d like to add my voice to a call for better road safety measures to be implemented all around WGC, as it s not just Parkway where one can come to harm. For example, it s only a year ago since I was struck b
SIR - With reference to Paul Orrett's letter, I'd like to add my voice to a call for better road safety measures to be implemented all around WGC, as it's not just Parkway where one can come to harm.
For example, it's only a year ago since I was struck by a car on the Old Drive.
Furthermore, a relative of mine was seriously injured on Handside Lane several years ago after a bus overtook her while she was riding her bike alongside parked vehicles.
And only last year I was quoted in your paper voicing my opinion on traffic calming measures following a crash at the junction of Handside Lane and Marsden Road.
You may also want to watch:
On another occasion, I found myself as a passenger in a mini-cab that reached 50mph along Barleycroft Road. I ordered the driver to slow down. His response was remarkable: "Is there a speed limit along here then? I used to work in Luton but they don't let you speed there like they do here, we'll be OK." I told him to stop, got out and walked home instead!
On February 2, I bumped into Grant Shapps MP and councillor Helen Bromley along Handside Lane. I hasten to add that all parties were on foot and firmly on the pavement at the time.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 5 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 8 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
I was pointing out how Handside was regularly used as a Formula One trial track, when a 4x4 hurtled down the road doing near 60mph into oncoming traffic. It swerved, then screeched to a halt narrowly escaping a head-on collision.
Happens all the time!
Luckily, quick thinking HB, pen in hand (as she was on the campaign trail), noted the number plate of the offending vehicle.
Frankly though, if people aren't going to drive safely with due consideration for pedestrians, cyclists and other road users then two things must happen.
Firstly, road calming measures must be introduced along roads such as Parkway and Handside Lane - a narrow road, with many twists, turns and blindspots.
Secondly, the police need to enforce the law on speeding. Failure to take note of what people are saying will result in even more serious accidents that are just waiting to happen.