Accessible – if you’re nearby!
SIR – Your correspondent Terry Rains (WHT, January 2) is probably quite right regarding the accessibility of the Lister Hospital in relation to the A1(M), Luton/Stansted Airports etc, but we should not see all this as an isolated problem. In Barnet we hav
SIR - Your correspondent Terry Rains (WHT, January 2) is probably quite right regarding the accessibility of the Lister Hospital in relation to the A1(M), Luton/Stansted Airports etc, but we should not see all this as an isolated problem.
In Barnet we have a similar problem with the threatened downgrading of Enfield Chase Farm, thus leaving Barnet General A&E to cope not only with demand from Edgware, but also Enfield.
When asked how Barnet would cope if there was a major accident on the M25, we were informed at the time that "QE2 would take the extra load". Really?
It would appear that one health authority doesn't know what the adjacent one is doing!
You may also want to watch:
Worse still supposing a "Buncefield" disaster occurred in the future, and this time there was a three-figure casualty list... what then? Twenty three miles up the A1(M) with Barnet swamped?
Surely this is about logistics as much as centralisation to save money. With England and particularly us in the South East being the most densely populated country in Europe, transport gridlock is a serious and growing problem that will not go away. Access to the Lister may well be better says your correspondent, but only for some. Maybe he lives close by? What, however, about the people living in Potters Bar? Are they supposed to turn to the already overloaded Barnet, now the nearest A&E?
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 4 What time will the election results come in?
- 5 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 6 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 7 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
I am also concerned as I have my daughter and son-in-law and two grandchildren living close to QE2, so I have an interest in both camps as it where.
I have been in correspondence with my own MP Theresa Villiers who is much concerned about this as is of course WGC's Grant Shapps. I think we have not heard the last of this by any means.
Colin Vaughan, Ferney Road, East Barnet.