A1(M) must be widened
SIR – When is the A1(M) to be widened from junction six, Welwyn, where it is reduced from three lanes to two lanes onwards north until it reaches Stevenage?
This area is a bottleneck and has needed widening for years, even before the proposed closure of QE2 A&E.
It is in itself an accident and emergency area on most days of the week.
It inevitably delays all traffic including vehicles on the way to and from the Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
This situation is not part of joined-up thinking and taking into account the proposed hospital changes the Ministry of Transport should be taking urgent action to implement the road widening of this section of a major motorway.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs A Fanthorpe,
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 Police disperse large group near the university
- 4 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 5 Isabel Hospice closed to new admissions due to staff sickness
- 6 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 9 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 10 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'