A symbol of what is good in Hatfield
SIR – With respect to last week s letter regarding the children s Christmas party held at the St John s Community Hall (Letters, January 2). This gives me a chance to express my gratitude to each and every volunteer who has worked very hard to keep this
SIR - With respect to last week's letter regarding the children's Christmas party held at the St John's Community Hall (Letters, January 2).
This gives me a chance to express my gratitude to each and every volunteer who has worked very hard to keep this hall alive.
St John's Community Hall is not just a building, but a great symbol of what is good in Hatfield and a crucial hub in the community.
This hall was the centre of my childhood where I attended the brownies, church, fetes and also the children's disco. I have special memories and, therefore, to be involved with the hall is as much a pleasure as anything else.
You may also want to watch:
Councillors Ron Wheeler, Paul Smith and myself try to give as much support to the volunteers who run the children's disco on Thursday night. It is such a pleasure to see how each and every young person is treated with respect, care and allowed to just have pure fun.
Ron, Paul and myself would like to say a big thank you, not only to the volunteers, but also to Tesco, the fire service and the university who helped bring smiles to the faces of young people who attended the Christmas party.
- 1 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 7 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 8 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
It was a shame that the town council was unable to fulfil its promised involvement in the event, but may I reassure the writer of last week's letter that the children had a wonderful time.
Community is part of the borough council promise made to all and I can reassure you that Ron, Paul and myself take this pledge very seriously, along with the other borough councillors.
This is just the beginning and I would like to ask for the public's help in supporting and developing the hall so that the community can continue to use the facilities fully.
St John's Community Hall needs a new kitchen, toilets and other important building works, along with improving on the equipment such as a new disco with lights.
We have had kind offers of help from the university, local businesses and the fire service, but we need your help as well.
Therefore, if you can offer assistance, no matter whether you are a business or private individual, please contact either Ron, Paul or myself so that the volunteers dreams' could become real.
Councillor Kim Morris,
Welwyn Hatfield Council.