A rubbish tip from Glasgow
Sir – Regarding the debate of how we dispose of our household rubbish. There could be a way to dispose of our household rubbish that would be far more cost effective than building an incinerator. In the late 80s I was involved with Glasgow City Council
Sir - Regarding the debate of how we dispose of our household rubbish.
There could be a way to dispose of our household rubbish that would be far more cost effective than building an incinerator.
In the late 80s I was involved with Glasgow City Council which had a much larger problem than we have.
Simply put, waste is collected in the normal way and taken to a local work station (one in WGC one Hatfield, the first saving).
You may also want to watch:
The waste is bailed into a very dense 1.5 metre cubes. The cubes are taken to a prepared site and staked to form a hill shape. There are a number of potential sites available with in the district.
Any effluent is easily collected and made safe, any smell was [in Glasgow] very low (much less than landfill). The seagull menses easily controlled.
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 3 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 7 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 8 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
All staff on the Glasgow project were council employers (no expensive outside contractors); even the site preparation was carried out by council workers.
I hope somebody can check the above out and report on Glasgow's current situation.
Westly Wood, WGC.