A real Honourable Member
SIR – I was very pleased to see the article regarding Grant Shapps and his seemingly clean bill of health over MPs expenses. It contrasted starkly with Stevenage s Labour MP Barbara Follett deciding she deserved private security worth �25,000 in public m
SIR - I was very pleased to see the article regarding Grant Shapps and his seemingly clean bill of health over MPs' expenses.
It contrasted starkly with Stevenage's Labour MP Barbara Follett deciding she deserved private security worth �25,000 in public money while her constituents have to make do with the protection of the police.
But then, in Welwyn Hatfield we don't need to worry about her.
Mr Shapps seems to have the right approach. He's not above doing the commute to and from London and, according to your article, will even endure a night on his office floor if necessary.
I was also glad to see David Cameron take the bull by the horns on expenses and the other party leaders follow suit, but it seems that if more MPs on every side of the House took a leaf out of Mr Shapps' book, much of this reordering wouldn't be necessary.
Without wishing to get over the top, Grant Shapps seems to deserve the title "Honourable Member".
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure
- 3 Council fights for lower housing targets
- 4 Next to close Welwyn Garden City store this week
- 5 Outdoor gym opens in Hatfield
- 6 Purse stolen in Hatfield
- 7 Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat finally comes to Potters Bar's Wyllyotts Theatre
- 8 ‘Please do not vote to damage Welwyn irreparably’
- 9 Three bulldogs rescued from fire by passersby
- 10 £45m bid to improve QEII Hospital
Harvest Mead, Hatfield.