A question of transparency
SIR – Thank you for publishing my letter regarding Grant Shapps and subsequent reply to my question about his incidental expenses claim for �23,118. Mr Shapps is wrong to say the total expense claim of �127,152 is the only figure we should be focusing on
SIR - Thank you for publishing my letter regarding Grant Shapps and subsequent reply to my question about his incidental expenses claim for �23,118.
Mr Shapps is wrong to say the total expense claim of �127,152 is the only figure we should be focusing on, far more important to the debate is how this sum is arrived at.
Is there any wonder there is such national uproar when the rules for claiming expenses are so muddled and confusing, the only people who seem know how to claim are the claimants.
How is it that when there are clear clauses to claim for stationary, computers and staffing under separate headings, (which he claims for), it sort of gets included under incidental expenses provisions?
You may also want to watch:
The argument that he needs this amount of money because he works harder and needs to employ more staff, is nonsense.
His own party leader David Cameron claimed a mere �7,588 for IEP in the same period while his staffing costs totalled �103,633.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 8 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
Mr Shapps claimed �23,118 for IEP with �80,756 for staffing.
I do not wish to suggest or to question the integrity, honesty or hard working nature of our local member of parliament, but you can't preach openness and transparency on the one hand whilst practicing the very thing which prevents it.