A question of transparency
SIR – Thank you for publishing my letter regarding Grant Shapps and subsequent reply to my question about his incidental expenses claim for �23,118. Mr Shapps is wrong to say the total expense claim of �127,152 is the only figure we should be focusing on
SIR - Thank you for publishing my letter regarding Grant Shapps and subsequent reply to my question about his incidental expenses claim for �23,118.
Mr Shapps is wrong to say the total expense claim of �127,152 is the only figure we should be focusing on, far more important to the debate is how this sum is arrived at.
Is there any wonder there is such national uproar when the rules for claiming expenses are so muddled and confusing, the only people who seem know how to claim are the claimants.
How is it that when there are clear clauses to claim for stationary, computers and staffing under separate headings, (which he claims for), it sort of gets included under incidental expenses provisions?
You may also want to watch:
The argument that he needs this amount of money because he works harder and needs to employ more staff, is nonsense.
His own party leader David Cameron claimed a mere �7,588 for IEP in the same period while his staffing costs totalled �103,633.
- 1 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 4 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 5 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 6 Parked car leads to build up of waste, council claims
- 7 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
- 8 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 9 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 10 How did our town centres hold up under pressure last year?
Mr Shapps claimed �23,118 for IEP with �80,756 for staffing.
I do not wish to suggest or to question the integrity, honesty or hard working nature of our local member of parliament, but you can't preach openness and transparency on the one hand whilst practicing the very thing which prevents it.