Autumn brings a rich golden hue to the countryside, it signals the start of lazy nights by the fire and offers a whole season of fun.
As October draws to a close, school children and teachers will be embarking on a well-earned week off, giving them time to explore the seasonal delights of Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Essex. Whether it is indoor play away from the autumn chill or enjoying the various firework displays.
With Hallowe'en falling in the middle of this year's half-term break, children will be able to delve feet first into the age-old tradition of fancy dress and gruesome fun.
As the week draws to close, bonfire night celebrations will get underway with a bang. Across the region there will be firework displays of varying scales, allowing families to be captivated by explosions of colour against the dark, autumn skies in a safe, controlled environment.
View our listings below of all the bonfire night celebrations taking place near you!
To tell us about a Hallowe'en or bonfire night celebration, email Cat Lennon.
Guy Fawkes Events
- Cheshunt's annual firework display. Traditional fun for all the family before a stunning firework display choreographed to music. As well as a giant bonfire, there will also be a funfair and food stalls. For safety reasons, no sparklers, fireworks or alcohol may be brought into the park. When: Saturday 1 Nov 2014. Where: Cheshunt Park in Park Lane, Cheshunt, EN7 6QD Time: Gates open at 4.30pm, bonfire from 6pm, fireworks 6.45pm Prices: Advanced booking single tickets are £5 and groups of four £18. It's free for under twos. On the night, single tickets cost £7 and it's £25 for a group of four. Parking: Free car parking is available at the Brookfield Centre from 4pm. Telephone: 01992 441946
- Butterfly World Fireworks Display. Spectacular fireworks display with children's fairground ride, food and drink stalls, BBQ and facepainting.When: Sunday 2nd Nov 2014. Where: Butterfly World, Miriam Lane, Chiswell Green near St Albans. Time: Gates open at 4.30pm. Fireworks from 6.15pm. Prices: £6. £5 for Butterfly World members. Under 3's free. All tickets must be purchased in advance. Parking: Free car parking Telephone: 01727 869203
- Hatfield House Annual Firework Display. Entertainment will be provided by Knebworth-based Bob FM in the build-up to the fireworks. There will also be a funfair and catering units offering hot food and drinks. When: Saturday 1st Nov 2014. Where: Queen Elizabeth Oak Field Time: Gates open at 5pm. Fireworks from 6.30pm. Gates close at 6.45pm. Prices: In advance - £7 for adults, £3 for childen, under 5's free. Tickets will be available on the night but it is cash only. Prices are £8 per adult, £4 per child, and under 5's are free. Parking: Free parking available within the Hatfield House estate. Telephone: 01727 357117
- Harpenden Rugby Club Fireworks extravaganza. When: Sunday 9th Nov 2014 Where: Roundwork Park, Harpenden, AL5 3AE Time: Gates open at 3pm. Fireworks at 6pm. Prices: £8 for adults, £5 for childen. Family ticket £25. Tickets on sale from school reception. Parking: Spaces limited at the club. Please take the courtesy bus from Church Green, Harpenden.
- Crabtree Fireworks Spectacular. Fireworks spectacular. Refreshments available. No private fireworks or sparklers. When: Saturday 8th Nov 2014. Where: Crabtree School Playing Fields, Crabtree Lane Time: Gates open at 5.30pm. Display starts 6.30pm Prices: Advanced tickets: Single - £6, Family ticket - £20 (admits up to 4). £7 at the gate, family ticket £25. Free admission for children aged 5 and under.
- Fireworks Party at the Hertford Castle. Hosted by James Redmond (Hollyoaks), there will be a live band and DJ, Hertford & Ware Rock Choir, street food, licenced bar, face painting and much more. When: Sunday 2nd Nov 2014. Where: Main gates, Hertford Castle, SG14 1HR Time: Gates open at 5pm, live music from 6pm, fireworks display starts at 7.15pm. Prices: £8.50 for adults and £5.50 for children under 15, with a family ticket for two adults and two children costing £20. Under 5's go free. Tickets available from Hertford Tourist Office or Hertford House Hotel Telephone: 01992 517440
- Blueharts Hockey Club Fireworks Display. As well as the fireworks and bonfire, there will also be refreshments available, an outside bar and fun fair. When: Wednesday 5th Nov 2014. Where: Lucas Lane, Hitchin Time: Gates open at 6.45pm with the fireworks set off to music from 8pm. Prices: £7 for adults and £5 for children under 14, with a family ticket for two adults and two children costing £20. Telephone: 01462 434468
- Strathmore Infant & Nursery School's Family Fireworks Display. The Family Firework Night will feature a bonfire, bars, food and disco. No dogs or sparklers allowed. When: Saturday 8th Nov 2014. Where: Strathmore Infant & Nursery School, Old Hale Way, Hitchin Time: 5.30pm - 7.30pm. Prices: Limited numbers available. Advanced buying recommeded. Advance tickets £5 for adults and £2.50 for children. On the door tickets are £8 for adults and £4 for children. Tickets can be purchased from the school.
Letchworth Garden City
- Letchworth Garden City & Baldock Lions Club Fireworks Display. Celebrating the 30th anniversary of the annual fireworks display. Money raised from the event, which includes hot food and a bar, will go to the Garden House Hospice and KEECH Hospice Care for Children. When: Sunday 2nd Nov 2014. Where: Herts FA County Ground, Baldock Road, Letchworth Garden City Time: Doors open from 5.30pm for a 7pm start. Prices: Prices: Advanced tickets: £4 for adults. Under 16s £3. Tickets can be purchases from David's Music Shop, Eastcheap, Letchworth GC. On the night tickets: £6 for adults. Under 16s £4.
- Pirton Fireworks and Bonfire Night. Fireworks spectacular and a traditional bonfire. Hot food, bar and snacks available. When: Saturday 8th Nov 2014. Where: Pirton Recreation Ground Time: Gates open 6.30pm, bonfire lit 6:45pm, fireworks 7:30pm. Prices: £5 for adults. Under 16s £2, pre-school kids gain free entry. Parking: Car parking for disabled badge holders only, but parking is available in the village itself. No personal fireworks please (including sparklers).
- St Albans Firework Display at Verulamium Park. Fireworks extravaganza! When: Saturday 1st Nov 2014 Where: Verulamium Park, St Albans Time: Gates to the park open at 6pm and the display will start around 7.30pm Prices: Tickets are £5 and available in advance from the Alban Arena box office on 01727 844488 or via www.alban-arena.co.uk, online booking fee applies.
- Sopwell House Halloween and Bonfire Extravaganza. Bonfire and Guy Fawkes, face painting, Halloween-themed fancy dress competition, Halloween-themed games and storytelling plus firework display. When: Friday 31st Oct 2014 Where: Sopwell House, St Albans Time: Starts at 6.30pm Prices: Tickets are £18.90 for adults which includes a hog roast served with stuffing, apple sauce and crackling with a hot beverage. Children (up to 12 years) tickets are £9.50 which includes a mini burger or hot dog and chips with hot chocolate. These prices are for online bookings only. All other bookings are charged at £24.90 for adults and £10.50 for children. For all bookings received a £2 donation will be made to charity. For bookings online: http://sopwellhouse.skchase.com/halloweenextravaganza. Telephone: 01727 750466
- Stevenage Annual Firework Display. Hot food and drinks available for purchase. When: Wednesday 5th Nov 2014 Where: Fairlands Park, Stevenage Time: From 7.30pm Prices: Free. Members of the public are advised not to take fireworks or sparklers for safety reasons. Parking: Free parking opposite Stevenage FC's ground on Broadhall Way. Disabled access: Yes
- Ware Fireworks Display, now in it's 43rd year! Fireworks spectacular organised by three Rotary Clubs. All profits from the event will go to local charities supported by the three Rotary Clubs. When: Saturday 8th Nov 2014 Where: High Oak Road/ Kingsway Time: Gates open at 5.30pm, the bonfire will be lit around 6.30pm and the fireworks display will be from 7.00pm Prices: Entry costs £5 for adults, £3 for children (U11) and £15 for a family of four (2 adults and 2 children).
Do you have a Fireworks Listing? Send in your listings to firstname.lastname@example.org