Autumn brings a rich golden hue to the countryside, it signals the start of lazy nights by the fire and offers a whole season of fun.
As October draws to a close, school children and teachers will be embarking on a well-earned week off, giving them time to explore the seasonal delights of Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Essex. Whether it is indoor play away from the autumn chill or enjoying the various firework displays.
With Hallowe'en falling in the middle of this year's half-term break, children will be able to delve feet first into the age-old tradition of fancy dress and gruesome fun.
As the week draws to close, bonfire night celebrations will get underway with a bang. Across the region there will be firework displays of varying scales, allowing families to be captivated by explosions of colour against the dark, autumn skies in a safe, controlled environment.
View our listings below of all the bonfire night celebrations taking place near you!
To tell us about a Hallowe'en or bonfire night celebration, email Cat Lennon.
Halloween Find out more about the history of this tradition.
Bonfire Night Find out about the county's links to the famous Gunpowder Plot.
Hertfordshire Bonfire Night Events 2016
- Annual Brookmans Park Rotary and Little Heath School fireworks. Organised by Little Heath School PTA in conjunction with the Rotary Club. When: Saturday 5th Nov 2016. Where: School Road. Time: Gates open at 6pm.
- Cheshunt's annual firework display. Traditional fun for all the family before a stunning firework display choreographed to music. As well as a giant bonfire, there will also be food stalls. For safety reasons, no sparklers, fireworks or alcohol may be brought into the park. When: Sunday 6 Nov 2016. Where: Cheshunt Park in Park Lane, Cheshunt, EN7 6QD Time: Gates open at 4.30pm, fireworks 6.30pm Prices: Tickets cost £7.50 for an adult, children under 5 are free.Telephone: 01992 624009
- Harpenden Rugby Club Fireworks extravaganza. When: Sunday 6th Nov 2016 Where: The Clubhouse, Redbourn Lane, Harpenden, AL5 3BA Time: Gates open at 4pm. Fireworks at 6pm. Prices: £8 for adults, £5 for childen. Family ticket £25. Tickets on sale from school reception. Parking: Spaces limited at the club. Please take the courtesy bus from Church Green, Harpenden.
- Crabtree Fireworks Spectacular. Fireworks spectacular. Refreshments available. No private fireworks or sparklers. When: Saturday 5th Nov 2016. Where: Crabtree School Playing Fields, Crabtree Lane Time: Gates open at 5.30pm. Display starts 6.30pm
- Morgans School Fireworks Display. Hot food available to accompany the professional firework display. When: Friday 4th Nov 2016. Where: Morgan Road, Hertford, SG13 8DR Time: Gates open 6.30pm, fireworks 7.30pm. Prices: Advance: £4 for adults and £15 family ticket. On the night a single adult ticket is £5 and family ticket is £20. Tickets available from Hertford Tourist Office Parking: No parking available.
- Ickleford School Fireworks Display. Additional treats and attractions, including food, drinks, flashing novelty items and a licensed bar.When: Saturday 5th Nov 2016. Where: Ickleford Primary School, Arlesey Road, Ickleford, Hitchin, Herts SG5 3TG Time: Gates open from 5pm for a 6pm start. Prices: Advanced tickets: £17 for family ticket (2 adults and up to 3 children), £5 for adults, Children £3.50 (under 2's free). Tickets can be purchased from Ickleford school during school hours on 01462 459150 or email email@example.com. On the night tickets: £20 for family ticket (2 adults and up to 3 children), £6 for adults, Children £4 (under 2's free).
Letchworth Garden City
- Letchworth Garden City & Baldock Lions Club Fireworks Display. Lions annual fireworks display. When: Sunday 6th Nov 2016. Where: Letchworth FA County Ground, Baldock Road, Letchworth Garden City Time: Doors open from 5pm for a 7pm start. Prices: Advanced tickets: £3.50 for adults. Under 16s £2. Tickets can be purchased from David's Music Shop, Eastcheap, Letchworth GC. On the night tickets: £5 for adults. Under 16s £2.50.
- Pirton Fireworks and Bonfire Night. Fireworks spectacular and a traditional bonfire. Hot food, bar and snacks available. When: Saturday 5th Nov 2016. Where: Pirton Recreation Ground Time: Gates open 6.30pm, bonfire lit 6:45pm, fireworks 7:30pm. Prices: £6 for adults. Under 16s £2, pre-school kids gain free entry. Parking: Car parking for disabled badge holders only, but parking is available in the village itself. No personal fireworks please (including sparklers).
- St Albans Firework Display at Verulamium Park. Fireworks extravaganza! When: Saturday 5th Nov 2016 Where: Verulamium Park, St Albans Time: Gates to the park open at 6pm and the display will start at 7.30pm Prices: Tickets are £5 and available in advance from the Alban Arena box office on 01727 890290 or via www.alban-arena.co.uk, online booking fee applies.
- Stevenage Annual Firework Display. Hot food and drinks available for purchase. When: Saturday 5th Nov 2016 Where: Fairlands Park, Stevenage Time: From 7.30pm Prices: Free. Members of the public are advised not to take fireworks or sparklers for safety reasons. Parking: Free parking opposite Stevenage FC's ground on Broadhall Way. Disabled access: Yes
- Ware Fireworks Display, now in it's 45th year! Fireworks spectacular organised by three Rotary Clubs. All profits from the event will go to local charities supported by the three Rotary Clubs. When: Saturday 5th Nov 2016 Where: High Oak Road/ Kingsway Time: Gates open at 5.30pm, the bonfire will be lit around 6.30pm and the fireworks display will be from 7.00pm
Do you have a Fireworks Listing? Send in your listings to firstname.lastname@example.org