Autumn brings a rich golden hue to the countryside, it signals the start of lazy nights by the fire and offers a whole season of fun.
As October draws to a close, school children and teachers will be embarking on a well-earned week off, giving them time to explore the seasonal delights of Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Essex. Whether it is indoor play away from the autumn chill or enjoying the various firework displays.
With Hallowe'en falling in the middle of this year's half-term break, children will be able to delve feet first into the age-old tradition of fancy dress and gruesome fun.
As the week draws to close, bonfire night celebrations will get underway with a bang. Across the region there will be firework displays of varying scales, allowing families to be captivated by explosions of colour against the dark, autumn skies in a safe, controlled environment.
View our listings below of all the bonfire night celebrations taking place near you!
To tell us about a Hallowe'en or bonfire night celebration, email Cat Lennon.
Halloween Find out more about the history of this tradition.
Bonfire Night Find out about the county's links to the famous Gunpowder Plot.
Halloween Events 2015
- Halloween Fest. Face painting, stalls, Halloween entertainment. When: Saturday, October 31 2015. Where: White Lion Square, Hatfield Town Centre. Time: 11am-5pm. Prices: Free.
- Bats, Cats and Rats Halloween Fun. Have fun with a variety of craft activities. When: Wednesday, October 28 2015. Where: British Schools Museum. Time: 10.30am - 2pm (last entry 1pm). Prices: £4 per child aged 4 and above. Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Adult admission, free.
- Pumpkin Trail & Treats, Pumpkin Disco. Pumpkin activities, fancy dress competition, goodie bags and disco. When: 28-30 October 2015. Where: Knebworth House. Time: From 12pm. Prices: Adults £3.50. Child (2-16) tickets £11.50 for Trail and Disco, or £6.50 for just the Trail.
- Pumpkin Festival. Variety of activities including pumpkin carving, pumpkin olympics and pumpkin arts and crafts. When: 24th October - 1st November 2015. Where: Willows Activity Farm. Time: From 10am. Prices: Normal park admission applies.
- Crafty Kids: Halloween. Make your own spooky spiders, bats and more. When: Saturday, October 31 2015. Where: Royston Museum. Time: 10.30am - 12noon. Prices: £2 per child. Drop-in session. Booking not required. Designed for ages 4 and over.
- Halloween Tour. Spooky tour in the grounds, followed by a Halloween production. When: Saturday, October 31 2015. Where: Shepreth Wildlife Park. Time: 5-7pm. Prices: Normal park admission applies.
Do you have a Halloween listing? Send in your listings to email@example.com
Bonfire Night Events 2015
- Annual Brookmans Park Rotary and Little Heath School fireworks. Organised by Little Heath School PTA in conjunction with the Rotary Club. When: Saturday 7th Nov 2015. Where: School Road. Time: Gates open at 6.30pm.
- Butterfly World Fireworks Display. Spectacular fireworks display with children's fairground ride, food and drink stalls, BBQ and facepainting.When: Sunday 8th Nov 2015. Where: Butterfly World, Miriam Lane, Chiswell Green near St Albans. Time: Gates open at 4.30pm. Fireworks from 6.15pm. Prices: £6.50. £5 for Butterfly World members. Under 3's free. All tickets must be purchased in advance. Parking: Free car parking Telephone: 01727 869203
- Crabtree Fireworks Spectacular. Fireworks spectacular. Refreshments available. No private fireworks or sparklers. When: Saturday 7th Nov 2015. Where: Crabtree School Playing Fields, Crabtree Lane Time: Gates open at 5.30pm. Display starts 6.30pm
- Pirton Fireworks and Bonfire Night. Fireworks spectacular and a traditional bonfire. Hot food, bar and snacks available. When: Saturday 7th Nov 2015. Where: Pirton Recreation Ground Time: Gates open 6.30pm, bonfire lit 6:45pm, fireworks 7:30pm. Prices: £6 for adults. Under 16s £2, pre-school kids gain free entry. Parking: Car parking for disabled badge holders only, but parking is available in the village itself. No personal fireworks please (including sparklers).
- St Albans Firework Display at Verulamium Park. Fireworks extravaganza! When: Saturday 7th Nov 2015 Where: Verulamium Park, St Albans Time: Gates to the park open at 6pm and the display will start around 7.30pm Prices: Tickets are £5 and available in advance from the Alban Arena box office on 01727 844488 or via www.alban-arena.co.uk, online booking fee applies.
- Sopwell House Halloween and Bonfire Extravaganza. Bonfire and Guy Fawkes, face painting, Halloween-themed fancy dress competition, Halloween-themed games and storytelling plus firework display. When: Friday 31st Oct 2014 Where: Sopwell House, St Albans Time: Starts at 6.30pm Prices: Tickets are £18.90 for adults which includes a hog roast served with stuffing, apple sauce and crackling with a hot beverage. Children (up to 12 years) tickets are £9.50 which includes a mini burger or hot dog and chips with hot chocolate. These prices are for online bookings only. All other bookings are charged at £24.90 for adults and £10.50 for children. For all bookings received a £2 donation will be made to charity. For bookings online: http://sopwellhouse.skchase.com/halloweenextravaganza. Telephone: 01727 750466
- Stevenage Annual Firework Display. Hot food and drinks available for purchase. When: Thursday 5th Nov 2015 Where: Fairlands Park, Stevenage Time: From 7.30pm Prices: Free. Members of the public are advised not to take fireworks or sparklers for safety reasons. Parking: Free parking opposite Stevenage FC's ground on Broadhall Way. Disabled access: Yes
- Ware Fireworks Display, now in it's 44th year! Fireworks spectacular organised by three Rotary Clubs. All profits from the event will go to local charities supported by the three Rotary Clubs. When: Saturday 7th Nov 2015 Where: High Oak Road/ Kingsway Time: Gates open at 5.30pm, the bonfire will be lit around 6.30pm and the fireworks display will be from 7.00pm
Do you have a Fireworks Listing? Send in your listings to firstname.lastname@example.org