Welwyn continue charge up table with fifth straight win

PUBLISHED: 12:00 29 November 2017

WGC shoot from a short corner during their 2-2 draw with Potters Bar. Picture: KEVIN LINES

WGC shoot from a short corner during their 2-2 draw with Potters Bar. Picture: KEVIN LINES


Welwyn Garden City’s early season form is now a distant memory as they made it five straight wins in East League Division Three South West with a 3-0 win over Cheshunt.

WGC fire in a shot. Picture: Kevin Lines WGC fire in a shot. Picture: Kevin Lines

The victory means they have risen to fifth in the table after losing their opening four games.

Welwyn welcomed back Jens Van Helden to the squad, adding an aerial threat to the attack, but the opening goal came from the combination of Mark Skilbeck and Bryn Evans setting up Rob Sansom for a calm finish.

And five minutes later it was 2-0 as a short corner found Dan Hatt on the left post.

It was by no means a one-sided affair, however, as Cheshunt pressed Welwyn, forcing a number of impressive saves from Dan Klinger.

Welwyn Garden City's Jens Van Helden. Picture: KEVIN LINES Welwyn Garden City's Jens Van Helden. Picture: KEVIN LINES

But the hosts finished the first half strongly with Ben O’Boyle and Tom Kirby firmly in charge at the back and some clinical long ball passing from Van Helden.

Settling into his role at right back, James Lutrario was finding attacking opportunities up the wing, creating chances for the home side.

Again Cheshunt responded with a series of short corners, but again they were calmly dealt with by Klinger.

And Welwyn ensured the three points by hitting their third, Van Helden working the ball along the byline before scoring from a difficult angle.

They go to second-placed Hertford on Saturday.

The ladies were also at home and had to fight back from the loss of two early goals to Potters Bar to salvage a 2-2 draw in the 5 Counties Women’s Hockey League Premier Division.

Goalkeeper, Nat Granger, had made a couple of good saves before the goals but Welwyn pulled one back just before half-time, Helen Yanni running through from defence to connect with a cross from Ellie Bonnett.

Bonnett was on hand not long after the restart to equalise, pouncing on a loose ball after a thundering shot from Trinny McCann was saved.

They continued to press for the rest of the half but were unable to secure the goal to complete the comeback.

Other results saw the 2nds drew 0-0 with Saffron Walden and the 4ths lose 3-1 to Broxbourne despite a goal from Sara Hassan.

However, the 3rds did beat Boroxbourne, Nat Grander and Sue Owen getting the goals in the 2-0 win.

More news stories

A woman’s death has been categorised as drug and alcohol-related after her body was discovered in “concerning and slightly puzzling” circumstances.

An infidelity site has revealed how many people are looking to or cheating on their partner in Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar.

A points failure at Welwyn Garden City station is causing delays to Great Northern services this afternoon.

A Welwyn restaurant has been closed for business while the council investigates an “uncontrolled cockroach infestation”.

Most read stories

Local business directory

Hertfordshire's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Welwyn Hatfield Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter