Potters Bar go top of the table after champagne first-half performance in Witham

PUBLISHED: 12:10 15 January 2018 | UPDATED: 10:15 16 January 2018

Chris Chittleborough scored his first goal for Potters Bar in almost three years in the win at Witham. Picture: KEVIN LINES

Chris Chittleborough scored his first goal for Potters Bar in almost three years in the win at Witham. Picture: KEVIN LINES


A stunning first half of champagne hockey sent Potters Bar top of the East League Division Two South table as they cruised to a 6-3 win at Witham.

All six of Bar’s goals came in that first period and the two home goals in the second period only took a small amount of the shine off their performance.

Witham had started the day one place above Potters in second but the visitors had travelled full of confidence after their victory over Bedford 2nds last week, and with a full complement of players.

The plan was simple; do the same as last week but few would have imagined what was to follow.

In keeping with their recent improvements in that area, the opening goal came from a short corner. The injection to Mark Turpin, the drag by Graham Abrey and finish from Ed Whybrow was perfect, even if the shot did dribble over the line.

Their lead was short-lived as Witham themselves scored from a corner but it was a third set-piece which put Bar into the lead for the final time.

This time the drag from Abrey flew into the top corner.

And the goals kept coming.

Ajay Patel fed Christos Votsis at the edge of the D and although his shot was saved by the keeper, Miles Tomkins followed up and found the net from the tightest of angles for number three and the fourth saw Patel and Votsis combine again, this time Tom Clarke supplying the final touch.

For the fifth Bar went back to their short-corner team, however, this time Abrey’s shot was deflected home by Chris Chittleborough, his first goal for the club since March 2015.

And there was still time before the break for a sixth.

After dynamic forward play, Simon Tenwick’s driving run through the centre of the pitch was ended illegally but showing a quickness of thought to match his fleetness of foot, he self-passed immediately.

From there he weaved his way into the D and hammered a shot at goal. Whether it would have gone in anyway was debated afterwards but Mark Turpin wasn’t taking the chance, deflecting home with precision.

After the dizzying heights of the first half, the second period was something of a damp squib as Bar struggled to assert themselves on the game in the same way.

But the win was always secured and they host East London at Dame Alice Owen next.

More news stories

Four stalwart individuals have been nominated in the Welwyn Hatfield Times Community Awards for a Lifetime Achievement.

This week’s Pet of the Week is the “most lovable” pug in Hatfield.

Welwyn Garden City-based charity Isabel Hospice held a play and afternoon tea as part Dementia Awareness Week.

Numerous trains serving Welwyn Garden City, St Albans and Stevenage have been cancelled this morning as the Great Northern timetable chaos continues.

Most read stories

Local business directory

Hertfordshire's trusted business finder

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Welwyn Hatfield Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Welwyn Hatfield Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter