WELWYN Garden City’s men upset high-flying Royston 2-0 to claim their second win of the season on Saturday.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Skipper Rob Sansom saw his under-achieving WGC side welcome back Nathan James and Charles Southey for the Royston clash after the previous week’s defeat to Luton Town.

Having only played each other two months previously in a pre-season friendly, both sides knew what the other was likely to throw at them.

It was an even start to the game with both teams playing to their strengths, Royston using energy and movement to work the ball forwards, and Welwyn trying to pick out their mobile forwards with longer passes.

When either side did get in to scoring positions they found the defences very hard to break down as the Welwyn central pairing of Mark Bee and Andy Shore put in some fantastic tackles.

Welwyn finally managed to take the lead having soaked up a period of sustained pressure from the visitors.

Royston tried to play the ball out of defence, but the ever alert Pete Mullens pounced on a poor first touch from the visiting right-back.

Mullens quickly drove forward and picked out his captain Sansom on the edge of the D.

A glorious first time bounce pass from the Welwyn skipper went into the path of Southey who fired an unstoppable first time shot into the Royston goal.

Within a few minutes Welwyn had a super opportunity to double their lead following a great run by Bryn Evans.

However, just as the Welwyn youngster was about to shoot he had the ball knocked away by the visiting defender.

Southey’s runs were a constant threat and the balls through from Ben O’Boyle and David Searle kept the Royston defence on their toes.

With half-time looming Matt O’Connell was put through from another nice touch by Sansom, but his slap shot was well saved by the Royston goalie.

The second half was a similar affair to the first with Royston’s attacking play still being kept at bay despite having numerous short corners, all of which James Florence in the Welwyn goal managed to comfortably repel.

Midway through the second half Welwyn did manage to double their lead. Some excellent work from senior pro Doug Ashworth found Sansom.

Once again Welwyn’s leader turned provider as he drove to the by line before crossing the ball to Evans who coolly lifted the ball over the stranded keeper.

Royston were now throwing more and more players forward as they searched for the goal that could get them back into the match.

This meant that they were open to the Welwyn counter-attack.

From one of these counters Southey had a wonderful shot go just wide.

Again Welwyn had another chance when Searle fired a cross field ball to his fellow full back O’Boyle who worked his way in to the D but sadly shot tamely.

With time running out it was a bend not break defence from the home side with a number of splendid last ditch tackles and clearances from all of the Welwyn players.

They was a huge sigh of relief from Welwyn when the final whistle eventually sounded, and they recorded their second win of the season.

WGC travel to North London on Saturday to face newly promoted Southgate Adelaide.




Most Read Stories See all


Click here to read more of our digital publications
Book my advert Herts Business Awards Reader holidays Subscribe online