Battling WGC left without anything to show for efforts as Bromsgrove bank points

PUBLISHED: 15:46 17 September 2018

Adam Hunt of Welwyn Garden City in the match between WGC and Hertford Town. Picture: DANNY LOO

Adam Hunt of Welwyn Garden City in the match between WGC and Hertford Town. Picture: DANNY LOO

©2018 Danny Loo Photography - all rights reserved

Welwyn Garden City put up a fight in their Southern League Division One Central clash with Bromsgrove Sporting, but could not avoid a 2-0 defeat.

Playing in front of a near 1000-strong crowd – the largest experienced in recent history – Adam Fisher’s side dug in for more than an hour.

But after falling behind midway through the second half, they did not look like getting back into an exciting clash.

Bromsgrove have been promoted six times in nine seasons since reforming and moved joint top of the table with their win.

WGC survived the opening 25 minutes without much alarm, as Charlie Dowd and Will Sharrock threatened on the wings for the hosts.

Adam Hunt’s challenge on Sharrock was deemed fair, as Bromsgrove looked for a penalty, but WGC lost captain Danny Payne with a hamstring injury on the half-hour mark.

Tatenda Makoni added strength and power in midfield alongside the impressive Nick Elliott, as Lee Close held firm and keeper Dan Green denied Ashanti Price with a fine block before the break.

Green thwarted Dowd and Price at the start of the second half, before Jay Rolfe’s 50-yard run and shot force the home keeper into action with a fingertip save.

The deadlock was broken on 67 minutes, though, when Bromsgrove played a short corner and the WGC defence was caught napping, with Sharrock crossing for unmarked Nathan Hayward to head past Green.

Fisher sent on new signing Sam Oyeniran for Josh Bronti and WGC had a chance to level when Makoni found Jon Clements, who picked out new striker Kann Femhi, but his rising strike was pushed wide.

George Ironton replaced Makoni in the closing stages, but Bromsgrove doubled their lead when a corner dropped to Richard Gregory, who smashed past Green from close range.

WGC rallied as Hunt found Fehmi and his delayed pass reached Ironton, but his tight-angle effort went over.

As the match went into stoppage time, Ironton produced a fine run along the byline and sent the ball across the face of goal, where Oyeniran stopped it on the goalline but couldn’t force home from no more than a foot, allowing a home defender to clear.

WGC: Green, Hunt, Corran, Close, Rolfe, Payne (Makoni 29, Ironton 76), Elliott, Fehmi, Spaul, Clements, Bronti (Oyeniran 76).

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:46

The Liberal Democrat opposition on Herts County Council have come up with a proposal that could see residential street lights stay on until 2am.

Yesterday, 15:23

Three police cars were at the scene of a crash just north of Junction 4 of the A1(M) southbound near Hatfield.

Yesterday, 14:47

A charity dance night in Welwyn Garden City is coming up in memory of two beloved DJs.

Yesterday, 14:15

A gang assaulted and spat at people as they tried to steal alcohol from a sports club in Welwyn Garden City.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Welwyn Hatfield Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy