Time to move on from our Watford ‘frustration’ says WGC manager Adam Fisher
PUBLISHED: 19:30 06 August 2018
Adam Fisher has said Welwyn Garden City will move on from the frustrations of seeing their pre-season friendly with Watford cancelled with just over 24-hours notice.
The Premier League side had angered the new Southern League outfit when they pulled the plug on their U23s making the trip to Herns Lane at 2pm on Friday, 25 hours before the game was due to kick-off.
A statement released via the club’s Twitter feed expressed the many emotions of the Citizens, who had expected a substantial crowd for the contest and had already had programmes printed and food ordered.
The Hornets though remained tight-lipped despite requests for a clarifying statement from the likes of WHTsport and the BBC.
However, they eventually spoke to WGC on Saturday morning and manager Fisher says that should be the end of it.
Speaking to the club’s new YouTube channel, he said: “It was really disappointing I’m not going to lie.
“We felt we needed to put a statement out as quickly as possible from our side to let everyone know what the situation was.
“It took off with the national press getting hold of it but from our point of view we would have rather had the game.
“Their director of football Andy Scott called me and explained the situation.
“He was very apologetic and said ultimately they would work with us to compensate any losses and possibly re-arrange the game.
“That was good but a little frustrating it took so long.
“They could have got it sorted there and then but to their credit they did get in touch.
“But it is what it is and we’ve got to move on from it.”
The statement released by WGC on Friday accused Watford of “having no interest in the way grassroots and non-league clubs function”.
It said: “We have already paid out for food, drink, programmes and marketing, along with the obvious loss of takings on the gate, bar and food hut through not having a fixture.
“[There were] several young supporters between the age of six and 12 that were due to be ball boys and mascots and are now extremely upset.”