Fightback earns draw after slow start against Cheshunt dents Welwyn Garden City’s hopes of quick bounce back

PUBLISHED: 16:00 24 October 2018

Bryn Evans in action for WGC. 

Picture: Karyn Haddon

Bryn Evans in action for WGC. Picture: Karyn Haddon


Welwyn Garden City produced a fine comeback but it wasn’t enough to clinch the win as they drew 2-2 with Cheshunt.

After the disappointment of losing their first game of the season at in East League Division Three South West at Bedford last week, the Hertfordshire Sports Village-based hockey club were fired up to put their east Herts neighbours to the sword.

But the first half did not go to plan as they trailed 2-0 by the interval.

They had started well enough with some good interplay between Max Davies, Rob Sansom and Mark Skillbeck down the right causing Cheshunt lots of problems.

And it wasn’t long before Welwyn got their first chance when a good ball from James Fowler found Bryn Evans who created the opportunity but sliced his effort wide with the keeper beaten.

But for the rest of the half they were indebted to some good last-ditch tackles from James Lutrario, Ben O’Boyle, Stuart Stephens and Pete Mullens to and some great saves by Dan Klinger to keep the score at 0-0.

They couldn’t keep them out forever though and two quick goals put the visitors ahead by the break.

A much-better performance from WGC was both needed and wanted and they started on the front foot with Dan Hatt finding Evans but his shot was well-saved.

Cheshunt did get chances to break with Welwyn pressing so much but Klinger was in fine form.

And eventually the hosts got the breakthrough they had been looking for.

Good work from Sansom and Davies earned Welwyn a short corner and although Evans had his drag-flick saved, Davies was on hand to smash the ball home.

And it was another short corner that produced the equaliser.

Skillbeck and Lutrario were the architects in winning it and this time Evans made no mistake, firing high into the top of the net.

And even though time was not on their side, they still created chances in the closing minutes.

However, Cheshunt defended them well and in the end both sides came away happy with a point.

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:55

A Welwyn Garden City gym-goers are back up and literally running after vandalism in their building caused a massive flood.

Yesterday, 17:19

Crowds gathered in Welwyn at a beautifully decorated church to pay their respects on Remembrance Day.

Yesterday, 17:16

The fire service had to put out a large bonfire that got out of control in Welwyn Garden City yesterday.

Yesterday, 13:20

Do you recognise the men pictured in these CCTV images?

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Welwyn Hatfield Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy