Welwyn Hatfield garden waste collections - free until end of April

PUBLISHED: 16:22 20 April 2017 | UPDATED: 17:32 20 April 2017

Welwyn Hatfield Council issues final reminder to sign up to the garden waste collection scheme.

Welwyn Hatfield Council issues final reminder to sign up to the garden waste collection scheme.

Archant

Welwyn Hatfield Council will continue to collect garden waste from all properties - whether households have paid up or not - until the end of this month.

A Welwyn Hatfield Council spokeswoman said: “Notices are being placed on bins as a final reminder that garden waste collection is now a subscription service.

“From Tuesday, May 2, only properties that have subscribed will be collected.”

So far 18,317 people have subscribed to the service.

Only last week, concerns were raised over the possibility of the new garden waste charge exacerbating queues at Cole Green dump.

On April 13, drivers waited as long as 80 minutes at the official tip and recycling centre on the busy A414.

A spokesman for the county council, which runs the waste site, said: “At peak times any of our 17 household waste recycling centres can become extremely busy and queuing is probable.

“Cole Green is one of the smaller sites and this can exacerbate queues and delays.

“We do not own the land and have no long-term security, so options ( for redesign) are limited. We continue to search for a possible new location but this is a challenging process as appropriate land is difficult to find and waste facilities are not popular with neighbours.”

A borough council spokeswoman said: “We have often heard of people queuing to get into the Cole Green site, especially during traditionally busier times as the weather warms up.

“As (this is) a Herts County Council managed facility, we don’t have any evidence to suggest that the number of people using this, or any of the other county tips, has gone up or down.

“It’s therefore impossible for us to comment further.”

Related articles

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Welwyn Hatfield Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Welwyn Hatfield Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Welwyn Hatfield Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

13 minutes ago

Hundreds of bikers took on a 60-mile ride from Welwyn Garden City to North Weald to raise operational funds for the Air Ambulance.

09:46

A Hatfield youth centre has been used as a backdrop to a two-hour rockumentary drama set in the town in 1967.

A war memorial in Old Hatfield has been given a special Grade II* listed status to celebrate its historic importance.

Yesterday, 17:51

Organisers have confirmed that this Bank Holiday weekend’s sold-out Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield will go ahead as planned, despite last night’s Manchester suicide bombing.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Welwyn Hatfield Times e-edition E-edition

Local business directory

Hertfordshire's trusted business finder

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Herts Most Wanted Herts Business Awards