Mum’s horror at toddler finding ‘white powder’ in Welwyn Garden City restaurant
PUBLISHED: 10:57 03 October 2018 | UPDATED: 10:57 03 October 2018
A Hatfield mum has been left appalled after she turned around to discover her toddler holding a bag of what appeared to be some sort of white powder in a restaurant’s toilet.
Hanna Southgate, 24, visited The Bakehouse in WGC on Sunday, September 30, with her mother-in-law, two-year-old son and her seven-week-old baby.
The Parkhouse Court resident took her two-year-old into the baby changing facility but says she was “shocked” by how dirty it was. She described how there was rubbish and tissue everywhere and as she always does, wiped the counter down and took her eye of him for a split-second while getting his stuff ready.
Hanna said she turned around to discover him holding a small ripped open bag with white powder residue on it which he must have found down the side.
The former WGC Monk’s Walk School pupil said: “I was so worried that he might have put it in his mouth and was panicking.
“I washed his hands and took it straight to the manager but they did not take it seriously or seem to care.”
Hanna said she was informed by a member of staff that they did not have a cleaner that day but that a manager had cleaned the toilets that morning.
“It’s disgusting and they should be cleaned by the hour.
“Imagine if my son had put that in his mouth it could have ended so much worse.
“I want other parents to just be aware so they can be careful with little ones and wipe down any surfaces before changing bums.”
A spokesman for Marston, which owns The Bakehouse, said: “There is no evidence that drugs have been found on the premises but when we were made aware of the issue, we contacted the police for them to investigate further if there was any concern.”
With regards to using public changing areas for babies, National Childbirth Trust senior policy adviser Elizabeth Duff told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “When you need to use a baby change facility urgently, it can be tricky to be 100 per cent sure it’s clean and safe, especially as parents usually have their hands full dealing with one or more children in a confined space.
“We know the standard of baby change facilities varies from place to place.
“If they could be cleaned regularly, it would most certainly be appreciated by parents,” she added.