Teenager sentenced after night of violence in Welwyn Garden City

PUBLISHED: 18:56 29 January 2018 | UPDATED: 19:10 29 January 2018

St Albans Crown Court. Picture: Danny Loo

St Albans Crown Court. Picture: Danny Loo

Archant

A 17-year-old male became the 11th person to be sentenced in connection with a night of violence in Welwyn Garden City.

Following the disorder on September 24, 2016, Welwyn Hatfield’s Local Crime Unit launched Operation Hade to find those responsible and tackle the on-going antisocial behaviour in the town.

In the summer of 2017, the 17-year-old boy and another offender pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery in connection with the disorder.

The trial commenced in November 2017 at Luton Crown Court, where nine other offenders pleaded guilty to Violent Disorder three weeks into the proceedings. Ten of the offenders were then sentenced on Tuesday, December 12, at Luton Crown Court.

The 17-year-old boy was sentenced separately on January 15 and handed a two-year Youth Rehabilitation Order, 24 months of supervision requirements and a 90-day Intensive Supervision Surveillance Order.

He was also given a three-month curfew between 7pm and 7am, 180 hours of unpaid work and 24 hours at an attendance centre.

An 18-year-old from Welwyn Garden City, who had been arrested and charged on suspicion of Violent Disorder, had no further action taken against him as no further evidence was offered.

Detective Inspector John Hazeldine, who leads Welwyn Hatfield’s Local Crime Unit, said: “We are once again delighted with the sentencing of this individual and feel that it suitably reflects the seriousness of the offences committed.

“Those sentenced in connection with the offences that happened that night in September 2016 behaved appallingly and put their victims through pain and distress.

“Hertfordshire Constabulary will not tolerate such unacceptable, violent disorderly behaviour and we will continue to come down hard on those responsible as we have with Operation Hade.

“Through our own investigations and information from the public, we can work together to keep the area safe and I would therefore strongly encourage people to always report suspicious activity and ASB to us should they come across it.

“Crime or suspicious activity can be reported to us via the police non-emergency number 101 or dial 999 if you witness an offence in progress. Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:23

Police have appealed for help tracing two girls, aged 12 and 14, who were last seen together in Welwyn Garden City.

Yesterday, 16:00

Flo the cat, Cleo the dog and Eric the ferret are this week’s trio of pets at RSPCA Southridge looking for new owners in the Welwyn Hatfield Times Potters Bar Edition’s Find Me A Home appeal.

Yesterday, 11:00

A Pizza Express is set to open in South Mimms after a planning application was approved by Hertsmere Council.

Yesterday, 10:26

Great Northern has said it will be running short-term timetable amendments today (May 27) meaning fewer trains will be in operation.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Welwyn Hatfield Times e-edition E-edition

Local business directory

Hertfordshire's trusted business finder

Newsletter Sign Up

Welwyn Hatfield Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Herts Most Wanted Herts Business Awards