Skaters slammed over ‘dangerous’ petrol thaw technique in Potters Bar
06:25 20 February 2012
SKATEBOARDERS have been slammed after speaking of using petrol and flames to dry out a skate ‘bowl’ in Potters Bar.
The skaters wrote in an online forum of their attempts to combat wet and icy conditions at the skate park next to the Furzefield Centre.
A fire chief said the dangerous tactic should not be employed after they failed to clear ice with a “collection of mops”.
One skater commented: “Fingers crossed for better weather next weekend and I still think we need a decent roofers [sic] blowtorch to dry these parks out.”
Another, going by the name of ‘andytimes3’, complained: “just been for a look park is dry apart from the bowl which has a frosty side.”
And in answer to his post ‘Robrffr’ wrote: “Did you do the petrol trick to get rid of the frost?!!!”
The discussion continues with ‘andytimes3’ saying: “They wont [sic] let me near petrol anymore.”
And ‘Robrffr’ suggested: “hide it in another container, they won’t know until you spark it up!!!”
Another skater, ‘SimonB’ joined the conversation and wrote: “Hes [sic] not allowed near matches anymore either.”
Robrffr replied: “Thats alright andy, i’ll give ya a light!!! [sic]”
And he also suggests setting fire to an old skateboard to “keep your feet warm”.
It was initially thought the skateboarders were taking part in the ‘firebowl skating’ phenomenon, where they set a fire in the middle of the course and skate around it.
But, asked whether that was the case, another skater – called ‘Wobbler’ – said: “Firebowl skating?
“No dude, we were just trying to dry it.”
Potters Bar Fire Station crew commander Lawrence Smith told the Potters Bar Edition: “Obviously it is common sense that you shouldn’t be using matches and petrol to set fire to anything to thaw it.
“Obviously there is a danger of fire.”
And a spokeswoman for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said: “We wouldn’t recommend starting a fire to dry out a skate park.
“Instead, we’d advise waiting for a skate park to dry naturally and properly before using it.”
She added: “I think the risks are pretty obvious.”