Lawrence Hill exits The Voice but has no regrets

PUBLISHED: 21:01 26 February 2017

Codicote's Lawrence Hill was knocked out at the Battle Stages. Picture credit: Rachel Joseph.

Codicote's Lawrence Hill was knocked out at the Battle Stages. Picture credit: Rachel Joseph.

©ITV Plc

Lawrence Hill has told the Welwyn Hatfield Times he has no regrets following his exit from ITV’s The Voice this evening.

Lawrence Hill battling with Jason Jones on ITV's The Voice. Picture credit: Rachel Joseph.Lawrence Hill battling with Jason Jones on ITV's The Voice. Picture credit: Rachel Joseph.

The Codicote singer fell at the Battle Stages after being pitted against Jason Jones, with the pair singing the Doobie Brothers’ track Long Train Running.

“He couldn’t not [go through],” Lawrence told the Welwyn Hatfield Times. “He had four turns, has had over a million views on YouTube and I had an ‘accidental’ turn.

“I could have sung like Sinatra and he would have gone through.”

The 25-year-old continued: “I was happy for him and I was happy to leave the show at that stage anyway because I went in, caused a bit of a stir, people started to know my name and I can now focus on the music not just the show.”

Lawrence Hill was knocked out of The Voice on Sunday. Picture credit: Rachel Joseph.Lawrence Hill was knocked out of The Voice on Sunday. Picture credit: Rachel Joseph.

Lawrence’s first appearance was marred by ‘button-gate’ – in which judge Will.i.am claimed he accidentally selected him while doodling on his buzzer.

However, the singer felt he was able to do himself justice in the battle.

“I knew that no matter who goes through we can both be proud of what we did because it sounded great,” he said.

“The coaches loved it and had nice things to say about both of us, so as far as I was concerned I proved my worth.”

The former Sherrardswood School pupil said that although waiting around during filming was frustrating, the experience was worth it in the end.

“It was a whirlwind,” he added. “It’s the most aggravating show to be on, but very rewarding when it goes on air because you get all these people wanting to speak to you.

“As it progressed it was all very exciting.

“You can’t pay for a platform like that so when that actually happens it’s awesome.

“I know that I did the right thing by going on and have absolutely no regrets.”

Lawrence said he will now record new videos, hold as many gigs as possible, and hopes to tour with Kim Wilde again after supporting her last year.

More news stories

Yesterday, 18:23

Have you seen this wanted man in Stevenage?

Yesterday, 16:43

A report has been written recognising the problems with the North Herts District Council waste contract, with two proposals to be discussed at a cabinet meeting next Tuesday.

Yesterday, 15:41

A Welwyn Garden City dance school has put its best foot forward in a street dance competition.

Yesterday, 13:52

A kitten discovered in Codicote cowering in a heap of fly-tipped rubbish has a new home after being saved by cyclists and vets.

Newsletter Sign Up

Welwyn Hatfield Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Herts Most Wanted Herts Business Awards