Fury after baby chokes on fingernail in baby food
PUBLISHED: 06:00 26 November 2012
A FIVE-MONTH-OLD tot almost choked on his first taste of baby food after a fingernail, reportedly hidden in the jar, got stuck in his throat.
Christopher Bovington’s infant son Theodore escaped with just a scratch in his mouth, but the experience rattled him and his partner Charis Bailes.
Their son began coughing after having his first spoonful of the Heinz baby food on Thursday night at his Barrington Mews home in WGC.
The 25-year-old said: “I thought, ‘what the hell is going on?’ I wanted to know what the hell it was.
“I was looking in the back of his mouth. I thought it might be a wet cough, but it was a fingernail right in the back of his mouth on his uvula.
“I started to panic and my partner was screaming.
“She held his head and was trying to get it, but every time he coughed it moved further backwards.”
While this was going on, Theodore’s twin Daniel was screaming adding to the frantic melee.
Mr Bovington eventually fished the nail from his son’s throat.
He contacted Heinz but the firm did not placate the angry father and he does not blame Morrisons where he bought the food.
He told the WHT: “It is not right for it to happen, it could happen to someone else.”
A Heinz spokesman said the firm would investigate the incident.
In a statement he said: “The quality and purity of our baby foods remains our utmost priority.
“We were concerned to hear from Mr Bollington [sic] and his experience with one of our baby foods.”
The statement continued: “This variety is also strained through an extremely fine mesh.
“This is an isolated complaint and we are keen to carry out a full investigation as soon as the product is returned to us in the packaging.”