Potters Bar pooch violently ill after vets suspect it ate drugs

PUBLISHED: 16:52 31 October 2018

Poorly pooch Buddy standing proud. 
Picture: Susan Smith.

Poorly pooch Buddy standing proud. Picture: Susan Smith.

Archant

A dog owner is horrified after her pooch became violently sick after vets suspect it ate drugs found on a walk in Potters Bar.

Buddy the poorly pooch relaxes in his garden.
Picture: Susan Smith.Buddy the poorly pooch relaxes in his garden. Picture: Susan Smith.

Susan Smith’s dog Buddy was violently sick and collapsed after a walk near the Furzefield Leisure Centre On Monday, October 29.

The 18-month-old cockapoo puppy emerged from the woods with a very slow heart beat to greet the dog walker who was with him at the time.

Susan’s dog walker had to carry Buddy, who weighs 17 kilograms, to the car and rushed him to Village Vets in Potters Bar.

According to Susan, the vets said the dog’s eyes were very dilated and that he must have eaten a toxic substance, believed to most likely be drugs left in the woods, or less likely poisonous mushrooms.

It is suspected that Buddy ate drugs in the Furzefield area. Picture: Susan Smith.It is suspected that Buddy ate drugs in the Furzefield area. Picture: Susan Smith.

Mrs Smith, who had to pay out £150 in vet bills following the incident, said: “I was very concerned Buddy wouldn’t make it as he was extremely unwell.”

The vets ran blood tests which recorded Buddy’s red blood cells were low.

Mrs Smith added that the vets advised for Buddy to be monitored for the following two days, narrowly avoiding being admitted to hospital to be put on a drip.

Another dog owner, childminder Menchu Soriano, reported a similar incident while walking her dog Willow, near Furzefield Leisure Centre earlier in October.

Willow, a six-year-old husky, was unable to stand for 24 hours after eating a toxic substance in the area, which took him four days to recover from.

Mrs Soriano said: “The use of drugs in the area has gotten so extensive that I now often avoid the field.

“The danger is what if a child gets hold of something.”

“The area is being used as a drug den.” Added Mrs Smith.

Both dogs have luckily made a full recovery but residents have since taken to social media to voice their fears towards walking their own pets there.

More news stories

Yesterday, 17:55

A Welwyn Garden City gym-goers are back up and literally running after vandalism in their building caused a massive flood.

Yesterday, 17:19

Crowds gathered in Welwyn at a beautifully decorated church to pay their respects on Remembrance Day.

Yesterday, 17:16

The fire service had to put out a large bonfire that got out of control in Welwyn Garden City yesterday.

Yesterday, 13:20

Do you recognise the men pictured in these CCTV images?

Newsletter Sign Up

Welwyn Hatfield Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Herts Most Wanted Herts Business Awards